[milters] Archive

Lists Index Date Thread Search

Article: 106
From: Anthony Howe
Date: 2004-09-27 16:01:53 -0400
Subject: Re: Pseudo bug in milter-sender 0.62

Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support

Michael Grinnell wrote:

> Removal...........: milters-request@milter.info?subject=remove
> More information..: http://www.milter.info/#Support
>
> In milter-sender 0.62 and previous, milter-sender will reject invalid mail
> from lines with "553 5.1.[37] invalid domain name"
> This includes mail from lines that have a space in them.  These mail from
> lines are accepted by sendmail.  While these types of addresses are
> technically wrong, trying to explain that to some users is an excercise in
> futility.
>
> With milter-sender:
> mail from:<foo@foo.com >
> 553 5.0.0 <foo@foo.com >... .1.7invalid domain name
> mail from:<foo@foo.com>
> 250 2.1.0 <foo@foo.com>... Sender ok
>
> Without milter-sender:
> mail from:<foo@foo.com >
> 250 2.1.0 <foo@foo.com >... Sender ok
>
> Any chance of a fix to allow space characters?

Not likely.

I was very particular about parsing errors, because they tend to be
exhibited by viruses and spammers. In the case of a space in the
address, this was actually a symptom of a virus from 2002/2003 that
sendmail allowed, but I managed catch.

Given that RFC 821/2821 don't allow for spaces in the grammar and if you
assume conforming mail clients know better that to send email with
spaces (either removing them or reporting an error to the user), then
anything else is suspicious and probably undesireable.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ:

            "Once...we were here."  - Last of The Mohicans

Lists Index Date Thread Search